Champagne taste

On a beer budget?

On a beer budget?

Thanks to everyone who sent us the info about how drinking champagne might improve your memory. You certainly know our taste! If you haven’t seen the report going around the news, a study was conducted in England where mice who were given champagne were better able to complete a maze than those who did not get any bubbly. Apparently the antioxidants in the drink helped their brains function better. But what if you’re on a beer budget?

If you enjoy sparkling wine but are put off by the high cost of genuine Champagne that comes only from that region of France, then head south to a town just 30 minutes by train from Carcassonne. It’s in Limoux that monks created the world’s first sparkling wine in 1531, well before another monk, Dom Pérignon, popularized the drink a century later. Very good bottles can be found at the local grocery stores for 4 euro or less. There certainly are advantages to living in France’s largest wine-producing region.

But perhaps you say, “I drink only Champagne” with a capital “C”. Do you also say “I eat only Vidalia® onions”? You know, those same onions can grow in many parts of the US but can only be called that brand name if they are grown in the region of Georgia centered around Vidalia. Just sayin’.

Advertisements

About Bob

While living in North, Central and South America, in the middle of the Caribbean and the Pacific Ocean, and now in Europe, my passion has remained the same: travel and meeting new friends.

Posted on November 16, 2015, in Life in France and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.

  1. Nice article about… hum…
    what was the name of that French sparkling wine again !?!

    Like

    • Hello Julien. Glad to have you along and thanks for the question! That original sparkling wine is called Blanquette de Limoux and must have a minimum of 90 percent Mauzac grape with Chardonnay and Chenin Blanc making up the other 10 percent.Its more modern cousin is Crémant de Limoux that uses much less of the Mauzac. A couple of producers we know are Guinot and Antech.

      Like

Renestance

French Lifestyle Dream

A new life in Lille

Tales of a Brit who moved to Hauts-de-France

Southern Fried French

Two American Guys & Their Dog Move to France

wcs

Two American Guys & Their Dog Move to France

Chez Loulou

Two American Guys & Their Dog Move to France

The Vicious Cycle

A man searches for meaning...in between leg shavings

Post-Industrial Eating

Just another WordPress.com weblog

An Italian Point Of View

Alan and Tracy's Expat Adventures

%d bloggers like this: